The Winterhoff Arthritis Scholarship is awarded annually to deserving students with arthritis or a related rheumatic disease who
- impact the arthritis community, serving as positive role models and leaders;
- live their best life and empowering others to do the same.
March 29th, 2019, 5 p.m. Eastern Time
$5,000 towards tuition, books and supplies, does not cover room and board; scholarship awardees are eligible to reapply up to 4 years
Eligibility, all applicants must be:
- A US citizen or a legal and permanent resident of the US
- Diagnosed with rheumatic disease.
- Physician’s Certifying Statement required for finalists/awardees ONLY. Statement must be completed by the applicant’s Rheumatologist, DO, or Nurse Practitioner
- Finalists/awardees will be notified the 1st week of June and have 30 days to return completed Physician Certifying Statement
- Classified as an undergraduate, graduate, or medical student at an accredited college or University in the United States for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Enrolled full-time each semester and have completed the full-time units to reapply for the next academic year
- Involved with the Arthritis Foundation as an advocate, fundraiser, participant, volunteer, and/or supporter
Also, all applicants:
- Must currently have a minimum 2.5 grade point average;
- If awarded, must maintain a 2.5 GPA each academic semester (2019 Fall – 2020 Spring)
- If awarded, must be involved publicly with the Winterhoff Arthritis Scholarship and remain active in events or programs with the Arthritis Foundation
- Awardees will be provided a photo/publicity consent form
- Complete online application here http://go.arthritis.org/2019-New-Applicants.html
- Email unofficial copy of transcripts - Unofficial or online transcripts must display student name, school name, grades and credit hours for each course, and term in which each course was taken
- Include Arthritis Foundation reference – staff or leadership volunteer with contact information – email and phone. Reference will be contacted to verify involvement with the Arthritis Foundation
- ONLINE APPLICATION
- ONLINE RELEASE STATEMENT
- ONLINE ESSAY SECTION
- TRANSCRIPTS – email unofficial copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Current High School Seniors: If you are awaiting decision on college acceptance, please include college or University information for your top choice school.
Applications are anonymously reviewed based on essay responses – impact of rheumatic disease, educational and future goals, Arthritis Foundation and arthritis community involvement. Academic score is also taken into consideration.
Financial need is not considered.
The Winterhoff Arthritis Scholarship program is administered by the Arthritis Foundation. Applications are anonymously reviewed by leadership volunteers on the Winterhoff Arthritis Scholarship Committee and additional volunteers across the county.
Awards are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or national origin.
Applicants will be notified the week of June 2nd. Notifications will be made using the contact information applicants provided in their applications. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as scholarship recipients.
Payment of Scholarships
Awards will be paid in one installment. Awards will be made payable to the institution for the student.
There are no guarantees that this scholarship program will be available in subsequent academic years, or that a given recipient will receive the award in subsequent academic years.
No member of Arthritis Foundation Staff, National Board of Directors, or Winterhoff Scholarship Committee, or his or her immediate family, shall be eligible for a scholarship award.